Pages

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Longing for Egypt?

I was sitting in my den yesterday waiting on the Lord and having a pity party. I was thinking to myself, "I know how the Israelites felt out there in the wilderness." The Israelites had many pity parties as they cried out to God to return to Egypt. They didn't like the wilderness and longed for the comforts they missed, especially the food and drink. However, they were quick to forget their labor was hard, they were devalued, and downright abused. I too began thinking like the Israelites. Here I am in the wilderness, promised something better but unable to see it or imagine it. At least in my former church I knew everyone and had a role in the congregation. Unfortunately, I too was quick to forget the difficulties that led me out of that congregation. God released the Israelites and me from bondage. He is not pleased when His people are being mistreated. He rescued them in response to their cry to Him. I was captured by Psalm 18 and God's response to David's plea. "In my distress I called to the Lord; I cried to my God for help. From His temple He heard my voice; my cry came before Him, into His ears.....He parted the heavens and came down." (Psalm 18:6,9) God displayed His power in a grand theophany of nature. For the Israelites God demonstrated His power in a series of plagues which ultimately led to the Egyptians releasing the people. God removed His people because He had something better waiting for them. Unfortunately they refused His gift. When they reached the promised land, Joshua and Caleb went on a mission and returned with a report. The land was everything the Lord promised. There was just one glitch, the current inhabitants were formidable and needed to be removed. The Israelites were not happy campers.They again had forgotten how God provided for them and protected them throughout their wilderness journey. He did not leave them at the edge of the promised land with best wishes for getting past the current inhabitants. What the Israelites failed to remember that Joshua and Caleb knew was that the God who led them out would lead them in. I realize that the same God has my best interest at heart. He is leading me to a new place and is providing for me, protecting me, and preparing me along the way.  He won't leave me on my own with best wishes for future success. I need that same mindset that Joshua and Caleb demonstrated. The God who led me out will lead me in. I may not always feel it, but God is true to His word and His truth and promises are what I cling to.
Be Blessed!
Pastor Sheree

No comments:

Post a Comment