Pages

Friday, October 1, 2010

In The Dark

I'm sure at one time in your life you have had to let go of what was familiar and cleave to God. In those moments we can feel very alone and walk through the "dark night of the soul." Who are you in those times of darkness and who is God? That's the question that was put to me recently as I have entered a time of transition. Leaving the familiarity of my home church and role as Associate Pastor to go to someplace yet to be revealed by the Lord. In thinking about who it is I am becoming in this next season of my life, the idea of a caterpillar in its cocoon came to mind. In that dark place, the caterpillar is isolated, disconnected, alone. It must depend on God to care for it in this temporary state. Likewise I must depend on Him in my temporary state. But I asked the Lord who am I in this place? The Lord impressed upon me that I am unique. A unique expression of God's design. No two snowflakes are alike neither are any two butterflies that emerge from their cocoon. So it is with humanity. I cannot compare myself to another nor seek to be like someone I may admire. In my present "dark place" I depend solely on God. I was still somewhat distressed in figuring out what to do in this holding pattern. Just before bed time last night the Lord impressed these words upon my heart, "Create in the dark." Needless to say it made for a very restless sleep but this morning things became much clearer. The Lord was adding to my "uniqueness" that I am also creative. To that end I was led to Genesis 1:1-2. What I noticed was that God not only is present in the darkness but actively creating. "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters. (Genesis 1:1-2) (emphasis mine) Even before God said "Let there be light." He was creating in the midst of the darkness. From the outside of the cocoon we cannot see what is going on, but creation is taking place in the dark and God is at the center of it. So I am encouraged that this time of darkness is not one that is to be unproductive but creative. As I am created in the image of God, the God who created all things places His creative stamp on plants, animals, and humanity. And all of a sudden there is hope in the darkness.
Blessings,
Pastor Sheree

No comments:

Post a Comment