Pages

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Holy Engraving

There was a time when only certain people were bold enough to get tattoos. Typically tattoos were associated with biker types who rode Harley Davidsons or men in the military especially the navy. Today tattoos are as common as pierced ears. Tattoos come in all shapes and sizes as well as creative designs. The process involves the use of a special instrument that literally engraves the image or design into the skin. There is no law against the number of tattoos that a person can obtain and apparently no place on the body that is off limits to place them. To decide to get a tattoo is not something that a person does lightly because tattoos by their nature are meant to be permanent. However, the medical community has developed new laser technologies that can remove tattoos but the process can be somewhat painful and very expensive. When people are asked why they get a certain type of tattoo they often respond that its to remember some event or person that had a significant impact on their life. It is also a testimony or statement to the world of what the tattoo bearer has experienced in their life. Tattoos tell a story. In the Scriptures there is a story that our Savior tells through his scars. We are all aware of Christ's nail pierced hands and feet as He died upon the cross for the sins of the world. In His sacrifice God demonstrated His love for us. (Romans 5:8) But were you aware that Christ bears a tattoo or what I call a "holy engraving?" God brought this to my attention as I was reading through the book of Isaiah. In chapter 49 the Lord through the prophet speaks tenderly to Israel about her restoration after she has experienced God's judgment for her disobedience. "Shout for joy, O heavens; rejoice, O earth; burst into song, O mountains! For the Lord comforts His people and will have compassion on His afflicted ones. But Zion said, "The Lord has forsaken me, the Lord has forgotten me." Can a mother forget the baby at her breast and have no compassion on the child she has borne? Though she may forget I will not forget you! See, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands; (Isaiah 49:13-16a) Did you notice what the Lord said? "I have engraved you on the palms of my hands." The Lord reminded me how fiercely He loves me. My name is engraved on the palms of my Savior's hands and it cannot be erased. Nothing can separate me from the love of God in Christ Jesus. (Romans 8:38) I am also reminded of Jesus words in John 10:27,"My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life and they shall never perish, no one can snatch them out of my hand." All the Lord has to do is open His hands and there on His palms is my name for all the world to see. So I encourage you to do as I did and meditate on Isaiah 49:16a. Close your eyes and picture Jesus being led to the cross. See the soldiers laying Him down on those crossbeams of wood and as they open His hands to drive the nails in, see your name engraved on His palms.
Blessings In Christ,

Pastor Sheree

No comments:

Post a Comment