Pages

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Winged Messengers

What do you think of when you hear the word "angel?" Many automatically think of a figure, human-like in appearance, dressed in white with wings attached to their backs. Perhaps you were a fan of the show "Touched By An Angel" and remember Monica and Tess the main angelic characters who always revealed themselves at the end of each episode to those they were sent to help. As they declared to the struggling person that, "God loves you" Monica and Tess would be surrounded by a "heavenly light"and people would be awe struck and amazed. There are many references to angel visitations in the Bible. (Luke chapters 1& 2; Genesis 16:7; 22:11; Numbers 22:23) just to name a few. And although we aren't given a detailed description of their appearance, the reaction of many who encounter these angelic beings is often one of fear. The angels are quite aware that human beings can become overwhelmed with an angelic manifestation and in many cases they often follow their appearance with the words of comfort, "Do not be afraid." (Luke 1:11-12) In the Greek the word for "angel" is defined as a messenger. I believe God can and does send His messengers in various forms. In one of my favorite devotionals, "Jesus Calling", a recent meditation stated, "As you listen to birds calling to one another, hear also my Love-call to you. I speak to you continually; through sights, sounds, thoughts, impressions, and scriptures. There is no limit to the variety of ways I can communicate with you. Your part is to be attentive to My messages, in whatever form they come." The Lord has often touched my heart through nature. One of my favorite creatures in nature is the dragonfly. Most recently I was needing a fresh touch from the Lord and God used these "winged messengers" to get my attention. One morning while finishing my exercise routine in our upstairs spare bedroom I saw a shimmering blue object headed toward the window. As it got closer it landed on the screen and it was a dragonfly. I walked over to the window and placed my finger on the screen to touch it and said, "Good morning, Lord!" In that same week I saw dragonflies where ever I traveled. Even when I stopped at the drive-up mailbox at the post office, a dragonfly almost flew into my open sun roof! The point is that God is alive and active in this world. If we are open and attentive, we may be surprised with an unusual messenger He sends our way. In Jeremiah 29:13, the Lord says through the prophet to the people of Israel, "You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart." Angels don't necessarily come to us in the ways artists have depicted them through the years but when we are sensitive to the movement of God in our world and in our lives we can receive a first hand experience of His ever abiding presence.
Peace Be with You!
Pastor Sheree



No comments:

Post a Comment