Pages

Saturday, February 18, 2012

Holy Spirit Sighting

I was preparing to eat breakfast one morning when my husband called me to come quickly to the kitchen window which looks out at our bird feeders. There on the ground was a dove. It was pure white pecking around for food. I had never seen a dove like this before at our feeder. The closest we ever came were mourning doves. The sight of this dove reminded me of the descent of the Holy Spirit on Jesus after His baptism. "As soon as Jesus was baptized, He went up out of the water. At that moment heaven was opened, and He saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and lighting on Him. And a voice from heaven said, "This is my Son, whom I love; with Him I am well pleased." (Matthew 3:16-17) However, I wasn't the only spectator of this unusual sighting. A squirrel on our porch quickly came down the steps and stopped to stare at the dove. He then proceeded to approach the bird as if to check it out and try to discern what is this pure white animal? The dove did not allow the squirrel to get too close but the pair hung out together for some time before the squirrel went off into the woods. The dove then sat near the feeder for some time before it eventually flew off. God has often spoken to me through nature and especially through activities that take place around our bird feeders. It had been a particularly difficult week with my mother experiencing health issues. Her difficulties required me to micro manage her care to some degree from a distance as she lives out of state. The combination of efforts between myself and my brother who lives with her allowed many concerns to be resolved. Needless to say I was exhausted physically, emotionally, and spiritually. The sighting of this dove I considered a reassuring gift from God acknowledging that He was and always will be with me just like the squirrel hanging out with the dove. But I also hear the comforting echoes of the words He spoke to His Son. "This is my daughter, whom I love; with her I am well pleased."
Peace in Christ,
Pastor Sheree

No comments:

Post a Comment