Pages

Thursday, February 2, 2012

A Bird's Eye View

There have been some struggles lately related to ministry issues. I had entered another dry season looking for the Lord to make Himself known in a special way. And true to His word the Lord reminded me of His ever abiding presence. God has often spoken through nature and as I was on my way to a meeting with my spiritual director, I was thinking about what to share during our meeting. The month of January had started out fairly well but as time went on, I felt myself falling into a depressed state of mind. I assumed my meeting was going to be as dull and uneventful as the way I was feeling. However, God intervened as I spotted three red-tailed hawks perched on tree branches at separate intervals during my drive. The number three representing that completeness, fullness, and power of the Trinity.  After spying the third hawk, the Lord brought to mind a verse from Isaiah, "But those who wait on the Lord will find new strength. They will fly high on wings like eagles. They will run and not grow weary. They will walk and not faint." (Isaiah 40:31 NLT) He further encouraged me to see Him "in the ordinary." As I further meditated on this verse I found it curious that Isaiah speaks about movement in a descending order. It would seem like one would start from the slowest movement (walking) and build to a grand crescendo (flying high). Perhaps the Lord was trying to draw my attention to the fact that we all want to experience those mountain top highs and stay there forever but we must deal with the reality of the seasons of life. We all move through the ordinary or daily routines of life not expecting much. However, no matter whether we are at the highest of highs or the lowest of lows, God will give us new strength, renew our spirits, and show us life from a different perspective. When I went to the Scripture in Isaiah, the Lord reaffirmed His promise through the verses proceeding Isaiah 40:31, "O Israel, how can you say the Lord does not see your troubles? How can you say God refuses to hear your case? Have you never heard or understood? Don't you know that the Lord is the Everlasting God, the Creator of all the earth? He never grows faint or weary. No one can measure the depth of His understanding. He gives power to those who are tired and worn out; He offers strength to the weak. Even youths become exhausted and young men will give up. But those who wait on the Lord will find new strength. They will fly high on wings like eagles. They will run and not grow weary. They will walk and not faint. (Isaiah 40:27-31 NLT) I am grateful that even when I run out of fuel, God never does and I can call upon Him to renew my strength any time, any where, any place. He will fulfill His promises in His word and strengthen us to soar on wings like eagles, to rise above life's difficulties, and see circumstances from a bird's eye view.
Shalom,
Pastor Sheree

No comments:

Post a Comment