Pages

Monday, April 11, 2011

Seeing The Glory

I was reading a meditation from the devotional booklet, "Our Daily Bread" last week which focused on Revelation 22:1-7. This is one of the passages that speaks about sights believers will see when the New Jerusalem has come down from heaven to earth. I was taking in the description of the river of life and the beauty surrounding it when I was captured by verse 4, "They will see His face, and His name will be on their foreheads." (italics mine) I was overwhelmed in thinking about seeing the Lord's face. Moses longed to see God's face. In fact in Exodus 33, Moses asked God directly to see His glory. The Lord responded that He would cause His glory to pass in front of Moses but told him, "You cannot see my face, for no one may see me and live." (Exodus 33:20) There are also numerous experiences in the Old Testament when individuals who encountered angelic hosts or came into the presence of God would respond by falling on their faces.  Likewise in the New Testament we are told that no one has ever seen God (John 1:18; 6:46; 1 Timothy 1:17; 1 John 4:12) except for the Son.  Jesus Christ, God incarnate has made the Father known to us. However, God had to robe Himself in flesh not only so He could identify with us but also protect us from seeing the fullness of His glory revealed, lest we perish in our fallen, sinful state. Paul gives us a preview of what is yet to come, "Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known." (1 Corinthians 13:12) italics mine. Our delight and joy will finally be when we see His face. That is the longing of every believer's heart, so much so that it has been captured in song. From the old hymn, "Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus" which states, "Turn your eyes upon Jesus. Look full in His wonderful face and the things of earth will grow strangely dim in the light of His glory and grace." To today's contemporary praise song, "I Can Only Imagine" which declares, "I can only imagine what it will be like when I walk by your side. I can only imagine what my eyes will see when your face is looking at me.." Yes, I can hardly wait to see the face of Jesus. How about you?
Blessings,
Pastor Sheree

No comments:

Post a Comment