Pages

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

It's A Miracle!

In searching for a new church home, we have had the opportunity to visit many different congregations with varying worship styles. The past two Sundays we visited a church whose denomination is known for its charismatic displays of worship and strong emphasis on the Holy Spirit. As I mentioned in my first blog, I carry on the legacy of my great-grandmother who was a woman of great influence in the church. The particular body of believers she belonged to was Pentecostal in nature and she manifested one of the more unusual sign gifts. I believe that the Spirit of God still moves today in powerful ways. Two weeks ago at this church we attended, we sat behind a young woman who was in a wheelchair. She was being wheeled around by others and there was no indication that she was able to get out of the chair without help. I had no idea why she was in the chair and I thought maybe she had broken a leg or foot but there was no sign of a cast. The young woman was lifted out of her wheelchair and placed on one of the pew chairs for the church service. During the course of some very emotionally charged singing, I noticed the young woman standing up to worship. I thought to myself, "Maybe she has a back problem," as she stood up very carefully. When my husband and I returned to the same church this past Sunday, the pastor interrupted the worship time to give a testimony. He proceeded to state that the young woman from last week who was in the wheelchair was the victim of severe abuse. She had been abused so badly that she ended up in a wheelchair unable to physically walk. During the time of praise the young woman whispered to the folks who had brought her to the service that the Lord told her to "Get up and walk!" She obeyed and stood to her feet and was able to walk out of the church service on her own two feet! In fact, she has continued to walk unassisted since that day. I realized I had witnessed a miracle! It reminded me of Jesus healing of the paralytic in Mark chapter 2. The paralytic's friends ended up lowering the man through the roof of the house because they couldn't get through the crowd at the front door. When Jesus saw the faith of the paralytic and his friends, He said to the man, "Son, your sins are forgiven." This angered the teachers of the law who questioned Jesus' authority to forgive sins as such authority belonged to God alone. So to prove Jesus had such authority he said to the man, "I tell you get up, take your mat, and go home." Mark tells us the man "Got up, took his mat and walked out in full view of them all. This amazed everyone and they praised God, saying, "We have never seen anything like this!" (Mark 2:11-12) I know how those people felt. Imagine my surprise when I learned the real story about that young woman. I had witnessed a miracle and didn't even know it! I do not want to imply that this woman's paralysis was due to sin in her life. If anything, she was sinned against by her abuser. The message I take away is the power of God is still living and active in this world. We may not experience a "miracle" on such a grand scale as this young woman but God is able "to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to His power that is at work within us, to Him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever! Amen (Ephesians 2:20-21)
Blessings,
Pastor Sheree

No comments:

Post a Comment