Pages

Tuesday, June 16, 2015

A Personal Meditation on Psalm 121




The next chapter in my journey is about to unfold. My spiritual director sent me this picture which in actuality is a collage made up of pieces of paper that give it the illusion of a painting. I was captured by it and began to meditate upon it as it spoke to me of where I am in my present spiritual walk. I began to write in my journal about this experience and the words of Psalm 121 became a part of this scene.

June 16, 2015
The Village Within.jpg

"I see a little girl morphed by what seems are overwhelming odds. Everything around her and everything she sees seem larger than life. She is about to enter an unknown place. How far should she go? Her shadow seems to indicate she is touching the wall almost as if to have a sense of security. That wall is upholding the structure above her. The wall is a firm foundation, the Solid Rock, Jesus. In comparison to that little girl the archway is mighty. I notice the contrast in the colors of the wall. The gray seems almost like lifeless stone as compared to what's on the other side. On the other side are warm browns and yellows almost inviting her in. In fact everything on the other side of that wall looks inviting. The homes representing a place of family and community. The green vine along the railing speaks of new life reminiscent of the True Vine of John 15. The ground on which the little girl stands has a blue tint to it. In an ironic way the blue rather than feeling cold and lifeless feels like the Presence of God that has been following her. For there in the distance are the hills backed by a blue sky reminding me of Psalm 121. "I lift my eyes to the hills--where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth." (Psalm 121:1-2) I don't know if the little girl is aware of the Lord's Presence or if she is too focused on the dwelling places before her. She doesn't know where to go. The dwelling places are of various shapes and sizes and she stands almost paralyzed and confused. What if she makes the wrong choice? She is just a little girl with no apparent grown ups to help her. I identify with her Lord on this seemingly endless journey. I have no one to guide me save for You. I am about to walk through a doorway to another unfamiliar season in my life. What lies before me are many choices and many churches. Yet, what do I do? I feel overwhelmed, I feel abandoned. I notice the dress the little girl is wearing is red which in the church is typically symbolic of the Holy Spirit. Thus, the Holy Spirit is covering her and He covers me, too. In fact I see the Trinity represented in this picture. The Spirit covers her, the Rock she clings to is Jesus and God the Father is represented in the hills where her help comes from. She is barefoot, standing in essence on holy ground. And perhaps what lies in the center, in those dwellings surrounded by the Father, Son, and Spirit is the church community. A diverse community represented by the buildings of differing shapes, sizes, and colors. Because she is standing on that holy ground, "He will not let your foot slip--He who watches over you will not slumber; Indeed, He who watches over Israel will neither slumber nor sleep. The Lord watches over you--(that archway in the picture, the hills, the Spirit's covering) the Lord is your shade at your right hand; the sun will not harm you by day, nor the moon by night." (Psalm 121:3-6) Even though that little girl is scared and unsure, even though I resonate with her feelings of insecurity she and I can go through that archway. "The Lord will keep you from all harm---He will watch over your coming and going both now and forevermore." (Psalm 121:7-8) I stand on the edge of the unknown yet I remain surrounded by His Presence whether I am coming in or going out. There is new life waiting for me somewhere among the many choices. The Lord is inviting me to enter in and not be afraid because I declare with the Psalmist, "The Lord is my Rock, my Fortress, and my Deliverer; My God is my Rock in whom I take refuge. He is my Shield and the Horn of my salvation, my Stronghold." (Psalm 18:2)

Peace and Blessings,
Pastor Sheree




No comments:

Post a Comment