Pages

Thursday, March 5, 2015

Symbols In The Snow

At the church where my counseling practice is located, there is a small patio off of the kitchen area. On the patio is a large wooden cross. The patio is where the church holds its annual Easter Sunrise Service. Currently the patio is full of snow because of all of the snowstorms we have experienced this winter. The pastor of the church was lamenting that they probably would not be able to hold their sunrise service out on the patio this year. I was in the kitchen waiting for my dinner to heat up before seeing my next client. While my dinner was heating I was looking out of the only window in the kitchen that faces the porch area. I was captured by the large wooden cross immersed in the snow. The surrounding snow was still white and untouched by any human intrusion. I began to think about the symbolism of Christ's sacrifice washing our sins whiter than snow. King David cried out to the Lord after repenting of his sin with Bathsheba, Cleanse me with hyssop, and I will be clean; wash me and I will be whiter than snow." (Psalm 51:7) The Lord in speaking to the prophet Isaiah declared, "Come now, let us reason together, says the Lord. Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red like crimson, they shall be like wool." (Isaiah 1:18) What powerful imagery! I was captivated just meditating on the scene before me. Then my attention was drawn to a snow bank in front of me. I looked at the snow bank and in it I saw what appeared to be the face of Jesus. The image was that of Jesus wearing a crown of thorns and his appearance was marred. His eyes seemed to be swollen shut and His face disfigured. I was reminded once again from the book of Isaiah of the description of the Suffering Servant, "Just as there were many who were appalled at Him---His appearance was so disfigured beyond that of any man and His form marred beyond human likeness---." (Isaiah 52:14)  I had to blink a couple of times to make sure of what I was seeing, even though I have had similar experiences in the past. I was grateful to God for allowing me to see yet another reminder of His sacrifice as we continue to walk through this season of Lent. I would challenge you not to get caught up like so many people in all the bitterness and complaining because of all the snow we have had this winter. Instead, I encourage you to look for God in the midst of all the snow banks. You never know what symbols in the snow He may lay before you.
Be Blessed!
Pastor Sheree

No comments:

Post a Comment