Pages

Monday, September 29, 2014

A "Holy" Hare

The month of September has been very difficult spiritually and emotionally. My mother has spent the entire month in and out of the hospital. Even as I write this blog, she remains hospitalized and very ill. Many friends and family members have been in prayer for her recovery. However, I have to admit that my faith has been slipping and my hope fading. At the same time during this month, there has been a rabbit that has been visiting just outside my kitchen window. He has been sitting by the steps, at times resting and at other times eating clover. There were a couple of instances where he appeared to be looking right at me and responding by jumping closer when I spoke to him. I asked the rabbit a few times, "What is it that the Father is trying to tell me? I know from past experiences that God will often speak to me through nature. I assumed this was another instance of God communicating through His creation. Over time this rabbit kept showing up every morning and also in the evening just before sunset. I grew increasingly impatient trying to figure out what was going on. Then, as I was reading through one of my devotional books, "Our Daily Bread" the meditation focused on the language of whistling. The author quoted from Zechariah 10:8, "I will whistle for them and gather them, for I will redeem them." The author went on to talk about meeting a goat herder whose flock recognized his whistle for them. Likewise, God's people are often referred to as sheep with God as their shepherd. (John 10:27; Psalm 100:3) The author of the meditation goes on to say, "God has ways of signaling us, even without words. By events that can be alarming or encouraging. He reminds us of His guiding, protecting, and reassuring presence." After reading this meditation I began to realize that I have been experiencing exactly what the author spoke about regarding hearing God. My mother's illness has been the "alarming" event and the rabbit has been the encouraging event. God was "signaling" me through this rabbit's appearance each morning and evening. Even the rabbit's attentiveness to me and seeming to look at me, drawing close, was God speaking. Instead of trying to figure out some high and lofty reason why this rabbit appeared, God was in essence showing me His guiding, protecting, reassuring and abiding Presence through tragedy and triumph. Many people focus on the bunny as the symbol of the Easter season. However this "holy" hare reminded me of Easter and the resurrection. Hope in the midst of despair and sorrow. As of this writing, I have not seen my rabbit friend for a while. Perhaps God has made His point to continue to trust even in the midst of the unseen. For He has promised, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you." (Hebrews 13:5) Even when that promise comes in the form of a faithful rabbit.
Peace & Blessings,
Pastor Sheree

No comments:

Post a Comment