Pages

Friday, April 27, 2012

Meditation: Rublev's Icon of the Trinity



Every once in awhile I like to deviate from my usual format and share another side of my communion with the Lord. I enjoy meditating on powerful spiritual images and recording them in my journal. This recent icon was part of an article in a magazine I subscribe to called, "Conversations." The magazine focuses on the contemplative side of Christianity. From my journal writings on April 25, 2012, I am sharing my recent meditation on Rublev's Icon of the Trinity.


"Father, 
As I look upon this icon the words that come to mind are peace and unity. There is a holiness yet an earthiness to the picture. The brightness of the colors reflect a power of the presence of the Three. Though their colors are distinct for each member, the blue color they share connects them. Unity in diversity. The figure in the middle and to the right look to the figure on the left in humble adoration and expressions of love and devotion. The figure on the left receives this gift and in return reflects it back to the other two. The author of the article identifies the figures as God the Father (left), Jesus the Son (middle), and the Holy Spirit (right). The bowl on the table representing the communion of the Trinity and the acknowledgement of the covenant made before the world began, that Jesus would give His life for the salvation of the world. There almost feels like an unspoken understanding between the Father, Son, and Spirit and a silent satisfaction that "It is Finished!" The house and the tree in the background represent to me the earth that was redeemed and while the Trinity is joined together, there is a seamless connection between heaven and earth. The Trinity is very present in the world. The communion table they sit around is the strong reminder of our remembrance every time we participate in communion. It is the focal point and center of our worship. It is the simple uncomplicated symbol of the gospel. The position of Jesus' hand on the table with two fingers extended reminding me of His nature, one God in two persons, human and divine. The Spirit also has one hand on the table in deference to the Son and a reminder that His power comes from the Son's commission to be the power which resides in humanity  bringing new life in Christ as reflected in the green color. Christ's clothing also reflects His dual nature, the brown, earth, representing humanity. The blue, divinity, equality with the Father and the Spirit. God the Father has no hands on the table as the Son and Spirit reflect who God is. The gold of His garment reminding me of purity and matchless worth. The color almost translucent reflecting God as Spirit. The grass under their feet again representing their connection with the earth yet at the same time existing in a spiritual realm apart from the earth especially the Father and Spirit whose feet are resting on golden blocks. Where are the feet of Jesus resting? The wings typically symbolic of angels again pointing to the Trinity's distinction from creation yet indicating the ability to be where ever they are needed. The wings speaking freedom to go where ever they desire. And the rod each one holds reminds me of Psalm 23:4b, "I will fear no evil for You are with me. Your rod and Your staff they comfort me." These are the plain and simple messages You bring to my mind Lord. Apart from doctrines and denominations, it's all about the love of God, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit and what was done for humanity. The positioning of the Trinity opens the table up and invites me to come and join them, again reminding me that this is the focal point of worship."
Shalom,
Pastor Sheree

1 comment:

  1. Greetings Sheree Harrington

    On the subject of the Trinity,
    I recommend this video:
    The Human Jesus

    Take a couple of hours to watch it; and prayerfully it will aid you to reconsider "The Trinity"

    Yours In Messiah
    Adam Pastor

    ReplyDelete