Pages

Friday, January 21, 2011

Power Source

I admit that like many people I take for granted having electricity. I move from room to room, cook, watch T.V. and listen to music without really thinking about the source that generates all the power so my life is not too difficult. However, when that power source is interrupted by a storm or failure of a local generator I am shocked into the reality of how dependent I am on electricity. Sometimes Christians take their power source for granted, the Holy Spirit. The Lord was drawing me this week to think about His Spirit. I have often heard it said that the Holy Spirit is not only the most misunderstood member of the Trinity but also the One we too often ignore. It struck me this week that to ignore the Spirit is too ignore the greatest source of power that we possess, even greater than electricity! The most profound revelation is that unlike electricity generated from a power grid that is sometimes unreliable, the Holy Spirit is never interrupted, shut down, or off line. He does not need a switch to turn Him on or off but He constantly energizes and amazingly dwells in us! God is, was, and forever shall be the source of our power and strength. I was reading the first few chapters of Exodus where Moses is called by God to go to Pharaoh and set the people free. Moses is less than enthusiastic and he asks God, "Who am I, that I should go to Pharaoh and bring the Israelites out of Egypt?" (Exodus 3:11) In essence Moses was saying, "I have no power." God in response did not try to convince Moses how wonderful he was but instead was very direct, "And God said, "I will be with you."(Exodus 3:12a emphasis mine) In other words God would be Moses' power source. And so it is throughout the Scriptures that everyone called to serve God is empowered  by Him. And prior to Jesus going to the cross, He told His disciples in John chapters 14-16 about the One who would come and not only empower them but also comfort them in Jesus' absence. Jesus reinforces the promise just before He ascends into heaven after the resurrection, "Do not leave Jerusalem, but wait for the gift my Father promised, which you have heard me speak about. For John baptized with water, but in a few days you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit." (Acts 4b-5) Some have said the book of Acts could have been called "Acts of the Holy Spirit" as we see how the disciples depended on their promised gift, their power source to change the world. One of my life verses that God has given to me is Titus 2:15, "Encourage and rebuke with all authority. Do not let anyone despise you."(emphasis mine) That authority comes from my power source. It comes from the Spirit that dwells within me, the promised gift from the Father to all who claim Jesus as Lord and follow after Him. Don't take for granted the tremendous power you possess in Christ through the Holy Spirit. Get plugged in and never worry about a "blackout!"
Be Blessed!
Pastor Sheree

No comments:

Post a Comment